Friday, November 18, 2011

Week 8: Graduation

 I'd like to interject a promotion for my book, Letters From Apizaco, a memoir of my experience as an exchange student in Mexico as told through letters home and journal entries in 1976.

- Graduation was scheduled for the last night from 6-8PM. I wasn't expecting the crowds of inmates to be lined up clapping for us and all the K-9 units standing by at attention as we paraded down a hall with gowns or jumpsuits on, but I thought there might be a little more happening besides the distribution of certificates and having to fill out an evaluation form only to be sent on our way fifteen minutes later. And I was so looking forward to a piece of cake and coffee(or donuts?) I was also looking forward to a chance to get to talk to the other participants. I figure that this was the first time through for everyone involved in the planning process of this first ever Citizens Academy. Instead of asking everyone to show up for an eighth session, maybe they could distribute the certificates at the end of the seventh. All in all, they did a fantastic job presenting the program. It was above and beyond my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment